Princeton University History :
Princeton University History The university was founded by the Presbyterians with the name of the University of New Jersey, later it was called Princeton University, used in 1746 in order to train ministers dedicated to their views. It was the capital of the Scottish and Irish religious education of America, In 1756, the university was moved to Princeton, New Jersey for the Nassau Hall, named after the royal house of William III of England.
John Witherspoon :
John Witherspoon became president in 1768 and remained in that position until his death in 1794. During his presidency, Witherspoon changed the focus of the training of the University of ministers to the preparation of a new generation of leadership in the new American nation. To this end, he tightened the academic standards and the investments requested in the school. During his presidency, there was a period of stability in the university, which was interrupted by the American revolution during which the Battle of Princeton was held.In 1896, the college officially changed its name from the University of New Jersey to Princeton University in honor of the city in which it resides. During this year, the university also underwent great expansion and officially became a university. In 1969, Princeton University admitted women as students for the first time.
Land and buildings :
The mainland is around 500 acres (2.0 square km). The James Forrestal terrain is divided between the near Plainsboro and South Brunswick. The University also owns some property in the municipality of West Windsor. Which is an hour away from New York City and Philadelphia.
The first building was the Nassau Hall :
The first building was the Nassau Hall, completed in 1756, and located on the north end towards Nassau Street. The university expanded steadily around Nassau Hall during the nineteenth and a half centuries. The presidency of McCosh (from 1868 to 1888) carried out the construction of several buildings in the high Victorian Gothic and Revival Romanesque styles; Many of them have disappeared, leaving some that seem out of place. At the end of the 19th century, Princeton adopted the collegiate Gothic style by which it is known today. Initially implemented by William Appleton Potter and subsequently executed by the university’s supervising architect, Ralph Adams Cram, the collegiate Gothic style remained the standard for all new buildings until 1960.
A wave of construction in the :
A wave of construction in the 1960s produced a series of new buildings on the south side of the main area, many of which have been very well received. A group of 20 sculptures is scattered throughout the university. Some architects have contributed their works among them: Frank Gehry (Lewis Library), IM Pei (Spelman Salas), Porfirio Demetri (Whitman College, a Collegiate Gothic project), Robert Venturi (Frist Campus Center, among many others), and Rafael Viñoly Carl Icahn Laboratory
The university has an artificial :
The university has an artificial lake called Lake Carnegie, named after Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie financed the construction of the lake in 1906 at the request of a friend who was a former student of Princeton. Carnegie was waiting for the opportunity to take the oar to inspire the Princeton students to leave football. Shear Rowing Center on the Lakeshore continues to be Princeton’s rowing headquarters
This theater was built by the Princeton Triangle Club, a student performance group, using the club’s benefits and a gift from Princeton University student McCarter Thomas. Today, the Club conducts its annual freshman and spring musical magazine at McCarter. The McCarter Theater is also recognized as one of the leading regional theaters in the United States
Art Museum :
The Museum was established in 1882 to give students direct, intimate, and sustained access to original works of art that complement and enrich teaching and research at the university. This continues to be a paramount function, along with serving as a community resource and a destination for national and international visitors.The museum has a collection of Chinese art, with important properties in bronze, figures of tombs, painting, and calligraphy. His collection of pre-Columbian art includes examples of Mayan art and is commonly considered the most important collection of pre-Columbian art outside of Latin America. The museum has collections of engravings and drawings by old masters and a large collection of more than 27,000 original photographs. African art and art from the northwest Indian coast are also represented.
Chapel of the University
The construction of the Chapel of Princeton University began in 1924 and was completed in 1927 at a cost of $ 2.4 million. It was designed by the university’s chief consultant architect, Ralph Adams Cram. The vault was built by the Guastavino Company, whose fine tiled vaults can be found on Ellis Island, the Grand Central Terminal, and hundreds of other significant works of twentieth-century architecture.
One of the most :
One of the most outstanding features of the chapel is its stained glass windows, which have an unusual academic inclination. Three of the large windows have religious themes: The north aisle of Windows shows the life of Jesus, the north triforium shows the spiritual development of the Jews, and the south aisle shows the teachings of Jesus. The stained glass windows of the South skylight represent the evolution of human thought from the Greeks to modern times. It has windows on topics such as science, law, poetry, and war.Top 10 universities in the world